Port Angeles has a population of about 19,000 people, making it the largest city in Clallam county. Known to house the administrative headquarters of the Olympic National Park, the city has many areas with native landscaping. We’ll discuss the positive and negative aspects you should know if you’re thinking of traveling to Port Angeles as a tourist or new resident. www.travelrows.com
Visiting Port Angeles, WA
Port Angeles sits just a couple of minutes away from the Victoria, BC ferry terminal and the Olympic National Park. You could easily make a detour to these places whenever you’re in the city. Let’s discuss the pros and cons of visiting Port Angeles.
The Pros of visiting Port Angeles
- Port Angeles is a bike-friendly destination so biking through the 130-mile Olympic Discovery Trail will be a delightful experience.
- Whale watching is a popular fun activity in the city. Companies organize tours between April and October where you get to observe live whales. Other animals you may see on the tour include sea lions, harbor seals, and porpoises.
- Port Angeles offers one of the greatest kayaking experiences in the country. Places like the Olympic Peninsula, the Strait of Juan de Fuca and its wild coast, and the beautiful waters of Lake Crescent are available for kayaking.
- If you love to attend art showcases, you would enjoy seeing the local arts of Downtown Port Angeles during the “Second Weekend Artwalk”. It’s an avenue for different artists to showcase their best work.
- There are local wineries or tasting rooms where you can treat your tastebuds to a variety of wines.
- Fishing is an all-year-round activity in Port Angeles. Explore the waters to see what you will catch – oysters, salmons, trout, and even the Dungeness crab are all here.
- You have a chance to take a piece of Port Angeles home with you when you buy some of the abundant antiques, crafts, and souvenirs on sale.
The Cons of visiting Port Angeles
- During winter it will be too cold in Port Angeles to enjoy any of the outdoor activities.
- It can be expensive to get a place to rest during a trip along the coast.
Living in Port Angeles, WA
If you grow fond of this city and decide to live there, here are some pros and cons you should know.
The Pros of living in Port Angeles
- It has some of the best cuisines the northwest has to offer.
- Its climate fosters year-round gardening and growing of crops.
- It has a very interesting and vibrant display of culture. You could join the periodic underground historic jaunts and Native American heritage celebrations.
The Cons of living in Port Angeles
- Most times, there is little sunlight for long periods thereby making the days seem dull.
- Finding a job outside of health-care and education can be difficult.
Port Angeles is a thriving community that has historically been occupied by several indigenous people. This rich heritage reflects on the art and recurring festivals in the city. It can be a great place for a vacation. You may want to take the freezing winter temperatures into account when you plan your trip.