Do I Need a Travel Insurance? Information for UK Citizens.

Insured woman is hiking in the mountains

When you travel abroad on holiday, you’ll need to make sure that you are adequately insured. You’ll need to make sure you have travel insurance, and possibly health insurance too depending on where you are travelling to. Exactly what you’ll need will of course depend on where you are travelling to, and how long you are likely to be there.

Note: Information on this page is valid for the date when published. Always check current info on official websites. This article is for UK citizens. General useful and important article about travel insurance for everyone is here.

Do I really need travel insurance?

It’s not strictly necessary to have travel insurance, but it is generally a good idea as it will afford you a certain amount of financial protection. Travel insurance is becoming increasingly popular as it protects you from losing money in the event you can’t travel, or protects you from incurring extra costs if you can’t get home for some reason. Not all travel insurance will cover everything, so once you’ve decided that you do want travel insurance, you’ll need to decide which type you want, and make sure that it covers what you want it to cover.

What type of travel insurance should I get?

There are a number of different ways of buying travel insurance, you can usually buy it along side your holiday through your travel agent, or you can buy a one off travel insurance from a broker, or you can buy annual travel insurance from various places.

Travel insurance can include cover for a number of different issues from trip cancellation and interruption to accidental death, medical and dental care, loss of luggage or personal possessions, and protection against the bankruptcy of your tour operator, cruise line or airline.

Useful to know

Before you decide exactly which travel insurance you need, check to see if you are covered for any of these things already under other policies you own. Your home contents insurance may cover you for theft of personal items away from home and some cover you only for this in the UK, while others cover you for other countries too. If you have life insurance you will probably already be covered for accidental death, and if you have medical insurance you may also be covered for health and dental care. If you’re not, then you may still not need medical issues to be covered, as you may well be travelling to a country where an EHIC will cover this.

Should I get an EHIC?

If you’re a UK resident and are travelling to a country in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you are entitled to necessary medical treatment that is provided under the state scheme at either a reduced cost, or free. In order to receive this treatment, you’ll need to take a European Health Insurance Card with you (EHIC).

To find out more about this card, and to apply for one online, you can visit the website: alternatively you can pick up a form from the post office, or call them. If you’re a non-EEA national then you’ll need to apply by post as you’ll have to send further supporting documentation with your application. All the details about this however can be found on the above website.

Leave a Comment